CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

I Stopped Praying for Their Marriage

sad women
Photo Credit
Several weeks ago, two women – close Christian girlfriends of mine -  came to me, sharing that their marriages were in serious trouble. These two ladies each live in different states and do not know one another. However, within 24 hours, each of them was sharing their broken hearts with me. Over the following days and weeks, I listened, shared whatever wisdom God laid on my heart and I prayed. I don’t mean I prayed… I mean I PRAYED!!! I awoke in the middle of the night, these relationships heavy on my heart and I prayed. When I heard a song on the radio that would remind me of the couples, I prayed. I prayed in the car, at the store, everywhere I went. Tears ran down my face at church as I lifted these marriages up to God, asking Him to restore them as only He can.

The ladies and I shared texts and conversations. I listened as they shared their frustration, hurt, anger, resentment, and brokenness. I made sure NOT to take sides or give my opinion. With each interaction, I tried my best to point them back to scripture and the way God wants us to respond, regardless if we feel like it, regardless if it seems fair, regardless if the same kindness is being returned.

First Corinthians 13:4-8 is probably the most quoted Bible passage at weddings. It defines love as patient, kind, not envious, boastful or proud. Love does not dishonor others, is not selfish or keeps any record of wrongs. It doesn’t delight in evil, but takes joy in the truth. It ALWAYS protects, trusts, hopes and preservers. LOVE NEVER FAILS.

Are you loving your spouse like this? 
...Even when it’s hard? 
...Even when it’s unfair? 
...Even when you are not loved the same way in return?
As I was prayed for these marriages, God reminded me of an even more important relationship…the one we have with Him. 
I stopped right there, in the middle of my prayer time!! God showed me in that moment how to best pray for these marriages. It wasn’t to pray for their relationships with one another (although that is so very important). It was to pray for four individual people who need to revive their personal relationship with God Almighty! I have no doubt that God desperately wants to restore these marriages (as He does any marriage). But even more than that, He desires each of us to have an intimate relationship with Him. Sometimes God allows us to loose everything – our job, our home, our finances, our position, even our marriage – to draw us back to Him.*

*Notice I said He allows it…not that He causes it. The problems plaguing these two marriages were not cause by God, nor are the problems you may be facing in your own home. They have been growing for some time, rooted in our own choices. Like the Casting Crown songs says, “it’s a slow fade.”

So I continue to PRAY for my dear friends. It breaks my heart to see them go through these dark days. However, my prayer now focuses on four people instead of two marriages. I pray that they will each find God in a new way, that their relationship with the Almighty will be renewed and strengthen, that their minds will not be influenced by lies from the enemy, but will be reminded of God’s promises, that they will not rely on the deceitful emotions of the heart, but on the unchanging truth of the Word of God to guide them. I pray that as God speaks and works in the hearts of four individuals, that ultimately two marriages will be restored and the plans of the enemy to kill, steal and destroy another Christian family will be defeated!!

My friend, are you facing a similar situation in your home, in your marriage? Remember, you are not alone! BBM is here to come along side you, to encourage you, to pray for you and with you. If you would like us to pray with you, please send us a private message on our Facebook page.
Be A Blessing,

6 comments:

Susan at Educating Today said... [Reply to comment]

I love this blog post. I Corinthians 13 was the Scripture that we based our wedding on many years ago and I thank you for the reminder on how God looks at love! You are so right that it's not just a marriage issue; it's our own relationship to the Father that determines our relationship to our spouse AND our children. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you Susan.

Ashley Ditto said... [Reply to comment]

This is wonderful!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you Ashley.

Jennifer Torgrude Brownell said... [Reply to comment]

preach it sister! I wept as I read it. AMEN

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Jen! ♥

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home