CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Left for Dead

Have you ever had something in your life that you thought for sure was dead and then it came back life?
We once had a snail in our fish tank that we named Lazarus, after the Biblical man Lazarus who had been dead three days before Jesus brought back him back to life. This snail was flipped upside down on the floor of the fish tank for a few days. We were busy and didn’t do anything with him, and then one morning we noticed the snail crawling up the side of the fish tank. I have no idea if he was just hibernating (do snails hibernate?!), but Lazarus went on to have over 50 babies, which is a story for another day.

A couple years ago, my husband and I bought a living Christmas tree to plant in our backyard after the holidays, commemorating the first Christmas in our new home.  I diligently listened to the sales lady’s planting instructions, but apparently failed to clearly communicate the directions to my husband. After Christmas, he hauled the tree outside, dug a hole, and planted it. However, we weren’t supposed to actually plant the tree in the ground until spring. The sales lady had instructed me to leave the tree outside in its pot until after the spring thaw.

I thought for sure the tree would die. All winter long, I glanced out the window, watching the tree shrivel and turn brown. I felt helpless. There was nothing I could do to save the poor little tree. I knew its roots were freezing and was certain it was going to starve to death. By spring it was a dry, brown, tangled mess. I figured we’d just try again this next Christmas and we could just “pretend” it was the tree from our first Christmas in the house.

But in late spring, I noticed the tree was starting to turn a bit green. I thought, maybe, just maybe, it would survive. Soon, tiny green shoots poked their way out of the dead branches. Then one day, after a week filled with rain showers, the tree exploded in lush, long, green shoots. It looked like a brand new, healthy tree. I couldn’t believe it. I had left the tree for dead, but it came back to life in full glory.

pine1

And I realized, no situation is impossible for God. And I realized, God is the author of life. All life. Even snails , pine trees planted incorrectly, strained relationships, children who’ve wandered, and a neglected spiritual life. Nothing is impossible for Him. I wonder how many things we leave for dead that God is ready to bring back to life?

If you feel helpless, and like there’s no hope, bring your impossible situation to God. Ask Him to bring life as only He can do.
amelia_rhodesAmelia Rhodes lives in West Michigan with her husband and two children. She is a contributing author to Chicken Soup for the Soul: Here Comes the Bride, and her essays have appeared on Burnside Writers Collective and Catapult Magazine. Her book, Isn’t it Time for a Coffee Break? Doing life together in an all-about-me kind of world (Barbour) will release January 1, 2013. Amelia blogs at: www.ameliarhodes.com
Be A Blessing,

1 comments:

ashley ditto said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful post!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home