CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Preparing for the Best Date Ever!

It’s Saturday night. I’ve been waiting, anticipating this night all week. My outfit is lying on the bed. My hair is in perfectly styled, nails freshly manicured, makeup flawless. It’s taken hours of preparation, but I’m finally ready for our date!
getting ready
Click Picture for Photo Credits
Do you remember when you took that much time and effort to prepare for that special someone, the way your heart skipped a beat at the mention of his name and the prospect that you would get to catch a glimpse of him that day?

This morning as I hurriedly styled my hair, threw on an outfit and grab my make up to start and finish in the car, I was reminded of the the time and effort I used to put into getting myself ready for my man. No anticipation, no preparation, no excitement…but after all, I wasn't going on a date, right? We’ve been married for 12 years. He knows me and accepts me just as I am. There is no need to “dress to impress” anymore. Or is there…

How often is it the same with Jesus?

How often do you say, “I don’t need to bother with that anymore. He loves and accepts me. There is no need to prepare for our meetings.”? You may have never said those words or even thought them. But ladies, let me tell you, you and I, we’ve all said it with our actions. Day after day, we jump out of bed, maybe read a quick scripture, say a quick prayer over the day as we rush to get the family out the door. We hurry through they day keeping appointments, running errands, doing all the “this and that” that invade our calendars. We end our night again with a quick prayer, said by our children while kneeling at their bedside and then it’s off to sleep ourselves. No time for preparation. No anticipation of meeting with our man, no excitement of catching a glimpse of him that day.

In Mark 2:19 & Matthew 25:1-10, Jesus is referred to as our bridegroom. For those of us who know Him as Savior, we know that one day he is coming back for his Bride, the church. Can you imagine a bride that wasn’t looking forward to her wedding day, counting down the hours-even minutes, in heart-pounding anticipation of how wonderful that special day is going to be?! Can you imagine not being giddy with excitement at the prospect of seeing the Groom the day of the wedding, trying to catch a glimpse of him whenever possible. Can you imagine a bride spending little to no time preparing for their “big day”? Neither can I!! Yet, this is how we treat our Bridegroom every day. I say we, because I am equally guilty.

How do I prepare for my Groom? 

  1. Be in the Word daily. Our Groom loves to talk with us! He's written us love letters and longs for us to read them each day.
  2. Spend time with him every day. Remember, when you were thrilled to just spend a few moments together with your man, just you and him? It’s the same with Jesus. It’s not how long, although that too is important in building any relationship, it's the quality of time you spend together. It may be a few stolen moments together, just the two of you. But those few moments can fill your day with unspeakable joy! 
  3. Look for him. Look around you throughout the day. Try to catch a glimpse of him. It may be in a beautiful sunrise the two of you share over His love letter and coffee. It may be in a soft breeze that carries you away for a moment. It may be in the laughter of your children as He smiles watching you play together. He’s there  and he's longing with anticipation for you to take notice!
So what are you waiting for? You don't want to keep your man waiting. 
“Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.” ~Revelations 19:7 
Now, it’s your turn. What will you do this week to prepare for your groom? Join our discussion on our Facebook page. We all are learning and growing together and we would love to hear from you!
Be A Blessing,

  Growing Home

11 comments:

Lisa said... [Reply to comment]

Excellent post, Torrie!  I am by no means a morning person, but I make it a point to get up early every morning - before my children wake up -  to have my quiet time  with Him.
Thanks for this post.
Hope you a blessed day!

Kristen Carrier said... [Reply to comment]

Great post!  It amazing how much more of God we see when we just take the time to look for him.
Kristen @ Trial & Error Homemaking

barbara said... [Reply to comment]

What an encouraging post... yes, He must remain our first and last love, and we must prepare ourselves for Him. Thank you so much.

Mary Beth said... [Reply to comment]

I've never considered the comparison between anxiously awaiting my wedding day and having that same anticipation towards the return of Christ. Food for though!

Thanks!
Mary Beth
newlifesteward.com

Piper said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for this reminder.... I need to look forward to my time with Jesus in anticipation & longing!! And give Him the time He deserves! As well as the next time my husband have "date night" I need to take time and  effort to ready myself for the one that God chose for me!! 

Julie said... [Reply to comment]

I would love to read your blog but cannot read it due to the vertical stripes behind the  orange words.  Is this how it normally is?  I'm sure you've got good advice. Thanks.

angela pennington said... [Reply to comment]

Encouraging post!  Thank you =)

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you Angela. 

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Julie,
No this isn't normal. What browser are you using? I post it using Google Chrome and have also checked it in Internet Explorer. I'm so sorry you are having a hard time reading it. Thank you for letting me know. 

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Kristen, thank you for your kind comment. 

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Lisa, Thank you for your comment. Having a purpose quiet time is so important. Keep it up!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home