CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Learning to be the Light

Photo credit
This morning as I sat outside, ready to read the final chapters for our ladies' Bible study and enjoy a cup of coffee, our son came out to join me. I could tell something was on his mind, so I closed my book and listened as he began to share about his recent struggles. "He's only 10 years old! What kind of struggles could be possibly have?" When you are called to be light in a dark world (aka: public school) - plenty! His biggest struggle was that as he is getting older, he is being exposed to more and more inappropriate words, thoughts and material by his classmates. He does his best to choose the right friends, but that doesn't shelter his mind, thoughts and emotions from the filth the world has to offer. As his mother, I can encourage him, pray over him, teach and train him, help him memorize scripture; but I can't be with him everywhere, all the time. These are battles that he is facing on a day to day basis and he needs to be properly equipped.

As he continued to share specific thoughts that have been flooding his mind, I reminded him that, as Christians, we ALL struggle in this area. We are called to be in the world, but not of it. (So much easier said than done, right!) We can't control what classmates, co-workers, neighbors, even our spouse will do and say. What we can do is take those thoughts, words, and emotions captive! We put Philippians 4:8 into practice. 
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 
After our talk, he went to his room to build with his Legos. After about 30 minutes, he came downstairs. He had been listening to our local Christian radio station while building and had heard a song he wanted to share with me. As the song reached the chorus, the artist sang, 
It's so much brighter living in your world,
Savior what you did for me.
You gave me something I want everyone to see
When we stumble and it all goes wrong,
Only you can make it right
So I say
Oh oh oh oh oh
I'm learning to be the light
whoa, whoa
I'm learning to be the light*
 "Mom" he said, "doesn't this song sound like me!" My heart was so full that my eyes couldn't hold their tears another minute! As they streamed down my cheeks, I agreed with him. I was so thankful for how God was speaking to his young heart, making him aware that he is called to be the light to a dark and lonely world.

Being the light is not for the faint of heart. It requires strength, perseverance, courage and faith. It's a life-long learning experience of day to day choices and opportunities that are available to us to be like Jesus, to show his love to someone, to make the difference, to take the stand, to shine HIS light.

As a mother, I wish I could take all my children's trials and struggles away. I wish they didn't have to endure the hurts and hardships of a sinful world. However, I know that it is through these struggles that they will experience an intimacy with God that can not be revealed any other way. So it is with all of us. God allows each of us to endure for His sake; and in doing so, we too are "learning to be the light."

*"Learning to be the Light ~ New WorldSon"

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. ~ Matthew 5:16

3 comments:

Ashley Ditto said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful. I love how your son came to you and what you said about light. So amazing!

Trish Sorge said... [Reply to comment]

Beautifully said.  

janet said... [Reply to comment]

I love this song.  My prayer is that I will be a light in the dark places so Jesus.
Enjoy reading your blog.  This is my first time to be here.  May God continue to use you.  
I am a Grandmother and know ,from hearing our grandchildren,what is in "the world" .  I pray that God will protect their eyes, ears, hearts, minds, feet (where they go).  That HE will enable them to stand and not give in to the evil darts of Satan.  May HE provide the strength and a way of escape for them.  
Blessings on your life and family.   Janet

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home