CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Hair Care {6 Tips to Help You Love Your Locks}











Photo credit
I have the most unmanageable hair! It's course, dry, curly, frizzy and brittle. If I wear it curly, the high winds of the desert quickly transfer the curls to a 1970s disco flashback. Usually I blow it out straight and use a flat iron to smooth it. This takes about an hour to an hour and a half from start to finish. Honestly, I have to schedule it into my week! (I know, how crazy it that!!).

Over the years, I've tried to find shortcuts and products to make this easier and less time consuming. I've used everything from chemical relaxers (which dried my hair out, making it more brittle) to pricey products; tried expensive salons and neighborhood chain shops. Let's face it! We all want to have hair like the Pantene models, right! After all of my searching, here's what I've found:
  • Expensive doesn't always mean better. Some of my favorite stylists have been from local chain salons (Fantastic Sams, Great Clips, Supercuts). It's not about the price. It's about having a talented stylist who you can trust.
  • Not every stylist is knowledgeable in all hair types. Just because your girl friend loves her stylist does mean she will do a great job for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions before you let someone cut/color/perm/relax or work on your hair. For example, I know my hair needs to be cut while it's dry to achieve the best cut. Many stylists will only cut wet hair. Also, if you have ethnic hair (like I do), make sure your stylist is knowledgeable with your specific hair and its needs. 
  • Get in the know. Read and learn about your hair type. Find out what cuts work best for your hair. Learn which products are worth the money and which ones to skip. (Products are like stylists - what works for one person may not work for you. Also, products tend to loose their "ump" after awhile. Have a couple brands that you can alternate). 
  • Don't be afraid to speak up. It's your hair!! Be honest with your stylist. Sometimes stylists like to do their own thing. I've had several that I told what I wanted and what works for my lifestyle, Instead I left with their vision of what they thought I would look best in. You know how much time you have to devote to a hair style. If you have little ones, chances are you don't have an hour each morning to devote to your lovely locks. 
  • Don't try this at home! Unless you know what you're doing, leave the chemicals and scissors to the professionals. 
  • Don't be afraid of a little change. Change can be a good thing. A good cut & style, some fresh highlights for summer or a new color shade just might be what you need. 









Hope these tips help and all those bad hair days are a thing of the past!

3 comments:

Shari @ Leaving A Legacy said... [Reply to comment]

I loved your tips. It's so true, expensive does not always mean better. Thanks for sharing!

Little Mommy Kim said... [Reply to comment]

It's funny, I thought surely living in Nevada (somewhere with dry heat) might be a little more kind on my hair (as opposed to the humid air we have here)... but it sounds like you struggle just like I do!  Thanks for the great post!

Kim@SandboxGems said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for these.  I suffer with the summer heat and humidity of DC and my hair goes FLAT as a pancake.  I've decided to work with what God gave me and go with a flattering cut for stick straight hair (or a ponytail!!) and leave it and that.  I used to perm and process and fight my hair.  Never worked.  Products can help for sure. 

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home