CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Piano Man for God {American Idol's Colton Dixon}

Last week, American Idol contestant, Colton Dixon, made headlines, and not because of his song choice. Reports stated that producers of the show asked him to "tone down" his faith references on his social media posts. He was warned that his statements could cost him the competition in terms of voters. His response,

"Being a Christian is who I am. I am not going to hide it, and I am not going to stray away from it just because I am on a TV show. I wake up and I do devotional every morning," he added. "It reminds me why I am here, which is to share the love of God." *

Tonight, he did just that...shared the love of God! After singing and playing an amazing arrangement of Billy Joel's Piano Man, Colton was center stage, ready for the judges critiques. Fans waved signs of support. At closer look, you can see John 3:16 on the signs. (Sound familiar Tim Tebow fans?) Then came the single best moment of the night, better than any power ballad, better than any touching melody, better than any of the arragements. Host, Ryan Seacrest, asked him what he was doing right before he started to play. Colton replied,

"I've been praying before this whole thing. Tonight was a big moment for me. I was just collecting myself and saying, 'God use me.' I want Him to shine through, first and foremost."
What a leap of faith! Against the advise of producers and critics, against the tide of the media and with the possibility of losing thousands of votes and costing himself the competition, Colton chose to stand firm to the Rock of his salvation in front of millions on national television!! To many his decision may seem foolish. However, to those who love Jesus the same way Colton does, it makes perfect sense! It is obvious that this young man fully trust the ONE who holds the future in HIS hands.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

American Idol, Colton Dixon singing Billy Joe's Piano Man ~ March 21, 2012


*Quote source: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/03/16/american-idol-producers-told-contestant-tone-down-christian-reference#.T2PF8pxtUSA.facebook

8 comments:

Ann said... [Reply to comment]

 Wow! I've heard about Colton Dixon, but I hadn't heard him play before. He's REALLY good and what a testimony! God is using him and I pray he continues to be strong in sharing his faith.

Torrie Sorge said... [Reply to comment]

I agree :)

Ashley said... [Reply to comment]

I have liked this kid from the start and wondered if he was a Christian because I just sensed it.... he has a distinct humility about him.  I remember thinking... "he seems like a Christian, I bet he is a Christian" and sure enough :) love it!

TGDay said... [Reply to comment]

I love stories like this. Seeing young people standing firm in their faith is wonderful!

Guest said... [Reply to comment]

Good for him!!!  Besides, they seem to forget one thing..."Against the advise of producers and critics, against the tide of the media and with the possibility of losing thousands of votes and costing himself the competition" -- standing firm in his faith & not compromising could GAIN his thousands of votes as the word spreads and the Christians who don't usually watch Idol tune in to watch, cheer him on, and vote for him!

Torrie Sorge said... [Reply to comment]

I totally agree! My husband and I have watched every season and this was the first time I ever voted!

Marlenekleyn said... [Reply to comment]

Hi, what a wonderful testimony throughout the world. May you please grant me permission to use this in That's My Girl magazine, the only Christian magazine for teenage girls, in South Africa.  I will be grateful if you can contact me at www.thatsmygirl.co.za/info@thatsmygirl.co.za
Blessings!
Marlene
 

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you Marlene! I would love to talk to you more about your magazine. I left you a post on That's My Girl Magazine FB page. Looking forward to talk to you soon. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home