CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Monday, February 13, 2012

♥Dressing for Him ♥

The other day, my girl friend and I had an impromptu shopping trip. It was only a couple of hours, but for this SAHM (stay-at-home-mom), it was a welcome change to my usual routine. We ended up at a favorite little shop full of the cutest spring fashions. I just LOVE this store. It's one of those places that every time I visit, I find something many things that are just my style. And this day was no exception.


One Shoulder Satin...
Maurice.com
After falling in love with various shirts, dresses and jeans, I found it - a beautiful, red and black satin, off-the-shoulder tunic. It's nothing I would normally pick and everything I'd love to try. I held it up to show my friend who immediately encouraged me to try it on.

"Where would I ever where something like this?" I asked (more as a statement than a question)
"Date night."
"Date night! I think this is a little overdressed for Outback." (We do have date night on a regular basis, but it's rarely a fancy occasion.)
"You're not dressing for Outback. You're dressing for him."

Her words stopped me in my tracks. She was exactly right!! Although I put some extra effort into my "date night" appearance, it had never crossed my mind to step it up for no other reason than my husband.

"You're not dressing for Outback. You're dressing for him!"

I did try this beautiful tunic on and am still in love with it. However, it didn't fit very well and so I didn't buy it. But my girl friend's words have stuck with me. Now whether I'm shopping or just getting ready at home, I will choose to put some "WOW!" into my choices because as she said...I'm dressing for him!

19 comments:

Debbie said... [Reply to comment]

What a great post Torrie. I've found myself in this situation many times, for me its our favorite little spaghetti place around the corner. Thank you for reminding me that I'm dressing up for my husband not for the place we are going!

Glutenfreesongbird said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. This is so true. How we need to hear it!

Beloved said... [Reply to comment]

Torrie,
We should always remember this...my dad, God rest his soul, always reminded me that men are visual...I try to behave like we're still dating.
Thanks again.
Peace and good.

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks ladies. I love reading your comments!

@Beloved- your dad is right. Men are visual. For some reason, we realize that while we're dating and forget it after we say "I do". This was a great reminder for myself!!

Betty said... [Reply to comment]

Such truth and their visual doesn't age with their bodies...so very glad my husband see me as beautiful as I was almost 50 years ago. Great Valentine post

Karen Dawkins said... [Reply to comment]

Torrie,
Today is Rob's birthday. He's on call -- so not much of a celebration. All work. BUT, I did make his favorite dinner and boston cream pie/cake... and I took time to do the makeup and hair before he got home. AND the kids and I did a lot of cleaning to make everything look nice.

The little things matter most.
:)

Christina said... [Reply to comment]

So very true! I might have to Post-it note this to my closet doors...

*megan_elzey* said... [Reply to comment]

I love this! I am currently in a place, with a 5 1/2 year old daughter, where I am trying to find just the right balance between dressing in a way that will draw my husband's attention and teaching my daughter about modesty and what is appropriate and not. This is a little easier in the winter than it is in the summer. Great post!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

@Betty, It's so sweet to hear how your husband still sees you as his beautiful bride. 50 YRS!! What a blessing. ♥

@Karen, Happy Birthday Rob!! I'm sure you made his day special! Also, it's a good reminder that even when we are staying home, our husbands like to come home to a pretty wife who's taken a few minutes to put herself together for him. :)

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

@Christina, I should too :)

@ Megan, I totally understand. We live in the desert of the SW. Our summers are extremly hot (100s for most of the summer). Dressing modestly is definately harder when it's so hot out. But I think our husbands appreciate our effort when we look cute, attractive and modest all at the same time. But it such can be a juggling act :)
Thanks for your comment.

Audry Cece said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for this post, Torrie! It's such a great reminder!!

Tracy Stoffell said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for the reminder Torrie. Loved the post.

laughwithusblog said... [Reply to comment]

I've never been one for dressing up except on special occasions. I'm a T-shirt, jeans, running shoes, pony-tail, and no make-up kind of gal most of the time, BUT what you're saying here is so important. Even when it's not a date I need to think of him and add those little touches that I know he likes, and definitely never omit the tread mill! :)

Fawn said... [Reply to comment]

So true! I'm not great at this. When we go out I'm definitely dressed to the nines. But when we're at home, which is most of the time, I'm usually in yoga gear.

Sheena said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you for the reminder, Torrie.. I tend to forget at times :(

shiney said... [Reply to comment]

Ha ha ha

Pissing myself laughing here

The 1950s are that way, love < ---------

shiney said... [Reply to comment]

Am I only allowed to fawn over you and agree with you to post?

Do you understand what the word 'feminist' means? What an utter moron you sound, bleating about dressing for your man. You do your fellow sisters a disservice.

shiney said... [Reply to comment]

Ha, you blocked me.

Fret not, I shan't post again.

Yet another bonkers religious  American....

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Shiney, 
No, you do not need to agree with everything that is written here. I welcome questions and respectful comments, even if they differ from mine. There is nothing wrong with a healthy, respectful discussion. However, I will not publish or allow comments on this blog that contain questionable or foul language. Therefore, I could not publish your original post. 

The proper definition of the word "feminist" is "the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men."* As a Christian, I do not believe in feminism. I believe in the Word of God which states that women were created to be a helpmate for men just as Eve was for Adam (Gen 2:20). I understand this is not a popular view, however it is a Biblical one. 


*http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminism 

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home