CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Monday, January 30, 2012

This Little Light of Mine

"Hey Mom, I think I did one of the best things I've ever done today at school."

"That's great! What did you do?"

"My teacher was really mad at one of the kids in my class today for not turning his work in, keeping his grade card in his desk and not taking letters home to his parents. He was sitting at his desk crying. I went over to him and told him that it was ok. I told him we all do bad sometimes and that I've gotten bad grades too, but that you can get them back up again. Then I told him not to be embarrassed because he was crying. I told him I've cried in class too. Then I asked if anyone else had ever cried in class. Almost all the kids in our table group raised their hands. By then, he stopped crying and started to feel better. I think that really made God happy today!"

With a lump in my throat, "Yes, Sweetheart, I'm sure it made God very happy!"

Some parents measure the success of their children in trophies, awards and honors. Until recently, I was one of those parents. However, for the Christian parent, the success of a child should be that they grow to love God with all their heart, soul and strength (Luke 10:27). This is what I long for in my children, what I deeply desire, what I pray for as they head off to school, as I'm running errands, as we pray together as night. With these prayers, I see growth! I see a 9-year old, 4th grader willing to stand in the gap to encourage a classmate. I see a boy not only memorizing our weekly Bible verse at home, but finding practical ways to implement them during his day. Last week we memorized Matthew 5:16.

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16
 Oh, how I love to watch his light shine!!



6 comments:

Ginny Marie said... [Reply to comment]

What a sweet story! You can be so proud of your little boy. :)

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Ginny Marie. I am! :-)

Charissa Steyn said... [Reply to comment]

Just found your blog today :) What a sweet post!! I love what your little boy told the kid in his class- so cute!

Fawn said... [Reply to comment]

This is AWESOME, Torrie! What a beautiful thing for your won to do. The love of Christ is in his heart. What a blessing!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

I'd have to agree, Fawn. God has certainly blessed him with the gift of encouragement. Love to watch his heart grow in that area!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Charissa, Welcome!!! So glad you stopped by. Hope to see you again soon. Thanks for the comment. :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home