CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Gentleness Challenge - Week 2

It's week two of The Gentleness Challenge. Week one was both a challenge for me and a blessing. It was a challenge because change it never easy. It was a blessing because I saw progress being made in my heart, my reactions and my children. Baby steps, right?! It was also a blessing because of YOU! I loved reading your comments and exchanging in our dialouge. Let's keep it going this week!

If you haven't had a chance to watch the video, I have it posted at the bottom. You will want to watch it to the end. There are some great comments & tips. This week Courtney has laid out three steps for us to follow:

1. When we yell, use unkind words and speak out of anger, we are sinning. We need to recognize our sin and repent. Don't get caught in guilt and regret. Accept God's grace, forgiveness and love! Dust yourself off and keep on movin'!

2. Do not remain isolated in your struggle.  This is exactly where the enemy wants us, alone! It is the perfect place for him to attack. None of us can make these changes by ourselves. We need a support group. It may be a prayer partner, Titus 2 mentor, Bible study group or even this blog community. It is my desire that all who read here will know that BBM is a safe place to share, grow and learn. Please know that you are loved and your comments are safe here!

Quote from Women Living Well.org

3. As new character traites begin to bloom, the old nature will wither away.   Just as a tree takes months to grow new leaves in the spring, growing new habits of grace will not happen overnight. It will take time. Some of you may have learned your how to yell, lecture & degrade because it is what happened to you. Breaking the cycle isn't easy; but, it is possible. In Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Praise the Lord!! This gives us all hope!

This week Courtney gives us an assignement. Here is what she said on WLW, "Our Assignment for the week: I encourage you this week to smile more, hug more, SLOW DOWN, listen, take a deep breath. When you feel like screaming – whisper. Pray pray and then pray some more. Take time to write out, meditate and memorize the 2 verses above (below), as you pursue gentleness."

 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come. The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17
 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23

These are a couple extra things I learned:

*Recognize our children's gifts and talents. Inspire them to use those abilities to the glory of God. Imagine with them how God can use them in a mighty way. This will build excitment with you and them as to what special plans God has just for them!

*Being a successful parent is when you have children who love God and desire to serve Him with all their heart. It's not about grades or professions (although that is important). It pales in comparision to a heart 100% sold out to Christ! 


At times, the task of The Gentleness Challenge (or any life change for that matter) can seem overwhelming and daughting. Take heart!
"Now may the God of peace...equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Hebrews 13:20-21



4 comments:

Fawn said... [Reply to comment]

I love that you're doing this, Torrie. Although I don't have a challenge with yelling or fussing, I do have a challenge with speaking in an extremely authoritative way when business is involved. The Lord has been teaching me how to speak to those I do business with or who work for me in the same kind manner I would my family. I can still get the work done in kindness. I'm still the boss whether I'm kind or strict. But it's taking me some time to make this change because I've been this way for at least 17 years. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks but it's possible. So I continue on...

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Fawn, I love how you apply this challenge to areas of your life eventhough you don't have children. That old saying is true, "You get more flies with honey than vinegar." It can be a daughting process to change, especially when our old nature has been in place for a long time. But it's also exciting and encouraging when you see process. Example: While making an return the other day, I used a more gentle, kind approach with the sales clerk. She said the item wasn't returnable. Instead of getting frustrated, I calmly stated what the previous sales clerk had told me. She double check and although she was right, she did the return anyways. So glad you are doing with challenge with us!! Love your feedback!!!

Tracy Stoffell said... [Reply to comment]

Torrie,
This is great, last week and even some this week I have had to remind myself to speak with kind and gentle words. I deal with insurance at a physicians office and boy sometimes......In fact at my desk I keep 1 Corinthians 13 and Galatians 5:16-26 printed and hanging up at my desk. There have been several times I had to deal with a patient or insurance and while they have me on hold, I look over and remind myself to love and to react according to the "fruit of the Spirit". It helps most days.

Tracy

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Tracy, We have so much in common. I worked in med billing/collections for years until God called me to be a SAHM. You are right. Sometimes you have to be a "not very nice person" to get what you need for your patients or clients. That is one of the reasons I wanted out. It was so hard to flip that switch on the drive home from the person I had been all day at work to the fun loving mom I desired to be at home. Love your heart & comments! Blessings!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home