CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

10 Days of Proverbs 31 - Day 8

Photobucket

"She makes coverings for her bed;

she is clothed in fine linen and purple." Proverbs 31:22

The woman of Proverbs 31 spends time on her family, time helping others and today we'll see she still has time for herself. How is this even possible?? "I don't do half of what this woman does and I'm lucky to get a shower everyday!" If this is the thought that just ran through your mind, you're not alone! Me too!! I'll be honest, there are days when I pray that no one sees me as I drop the kids off at school-no makeup, hair in a ponytail (not the cute kind) and still in my pjs. I guess it's one thing if you start the morning this way, it's another when you pick the kids in the same outfit! This is definitely not how the Proverbs 31 woman would begin her day.

Verse 22 says that, "she is clothed in fine linen and purple." She spends time on herself and takes pride in the way she looks. (No pjs during carpool for this momma!) Her clothes are always well put together; her makeup pretty and natural; her hair nicely styled. She doesn't do this as a form of vanity, but out of respect for her husband. Verse 23 tells us that "her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land." Her husband holds a position of  leadership among the city members and therefore his wife spend the time necessary to attractive.



"But my husband isn't a government or city official, so why do I need to spend time on myself?" From what we've seen of the Proverbs 31 woman she holds her family in the highest regards. In my humble opinion, I don't think it would matter what her husband's profession, she would spend the time to look attractive simply out of respect for him. Think back when you were dating. Remember spending hours getting ready, looking just so, only to sit at home and watch t.v. or go out for coffee! It wasn't the activity you were preparing for, but rather the person. I'll be honest, I have been convicted in this area. After 12 years in a loving, secure marriage, I've become comfortable, too comfortable. I remember when I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without being totally put together. Now it's rare if my hair is down, makeup on and clothes resembling an outfit replace my daily jeans and t-shirts. I love my husband and greatly respect him. I need to take the time and effort to look nice for him.

Secondly, she spends time on herself, spiritually. Verse 30 says, "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." She understands that outer beauty is short lived. Her soul is what people find beautiful. This kind of maturity doesn't come without spending time with God. Spending time in His Word daily is crucial. You will never know what God wants of you or for if you don't learn to listen to His voice. She also spends time in prayer. Do you pray, I mean really pray, over your family? Do you spend time praying for your husband, asking him what his prayer needs are and committing them to God? Do you do the same for your children? Do you spend time with God, seeking His will for you and your family? I say this from experience, prayer can and will change your life! God deeply desires for us to commune with Him. He is our Abba Father, Daddy. The desires and dreams, cares and concerns you carry in your heart matter to Him.

Do you need to spend some time on yourself? I know I do!! It doesn't have to be hours, like during those dating days. Most of us don't have hours to spare. Let's start with 15-30 minutes. That's not too much time to ask to being to put some effort into how we represent our families.

Challenge: Purpose to dress nicely tomorrow. Put a little thought into your outfit. It doesn't have to be fancy. Trade in the "mom" jeans for your "cute" jeans and a nice sweater. Open your Bible and meditate on His Word for 5 minutes. Not sure where to begin? Start with today's verse, Proverbs 31:22. Finally, pray. Talk to God. You can do this throughout your day, anywhere, anytime! Share your heart with Him!

 Until Tomorrow Friends...

Be Blessed & Be a Blessing!

Don't forget to visit these contributors of 13 Blogs, 13 Topics, 1 Great God!

7 comments:

Shari Lynne @ www.faithfilledfoodformoms.com said... [Reply to comment]

Conviction!! Although I'm not totally a slob, I do wear my sweats of just jeans and t shirts alot..I justify by telling myself..I'm babysitting my grandson so why dress up! The thing is that I don't feel as good about myself and I think it reflects in my attitude :( Thank you for the great reminder!
Blessings!

Fawn said... [Reply to comment]

On Sunday, my husband and I began a 40 Days in the Word devotional series with Saddleback Church and it's been such a blessing. Every day, we watch a video together of a spiritual lesson (7 min long) taught by a different pastor every day. If you've had challenges setting a time aside for just you and the Lord, I highly recommend it: www.40ditw.com. Start with Day 1 as Pastor Rick Warren gives a great reminder on how to memorize scripture and hide it in your heard.

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said... [Reply to comment]

Torri, EXCELLENT thoughts! I also am reminded that how I dress reflects on God too. So many people in the world think of Christians and they think, "frumpy". But God gave us beauty, He gave us a love for order and lovely things. When we dress nicely and groom ourselves neatly, we reflect the abundant blessings of God in our lives! We display His goodness to us. It's good for my marriage and for my testimony!

Ms. Kathleen said... [Reply to comment]

This is a wonderful devotional and yes, I do need to spend more time on myself spiritually and physically... Wonderful reminder.

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Fawn, I love Pastor Rick! Sounds like a great study.

Kate, I hadn't thought of it as a reflection of my testimony. THANK YOU!! This reflection will help remind me on the days I don't feel like getting out of my sweats that I am reflecting my Lord.

Ms. Kathleen, you are welcome!! ☺

Debbie said... [Reply to comment]

I am finishing up the Proverbs 31 series. It has been a wonderful devotional. Thank you Torrie, for reminding me that I need to spend more time on myself too.

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Debbie, You are so welcome. I need the reminder too. It is such a humble blessing to hear how much this series has ministered to ladies. Thank you for sharing how much you've enjoyed it. Your kind words encourage and bless me more than you know! Blessings,

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home