CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

10 Days of Proverbs 31 - Day 4

Photobucket

"13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. 17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks." Proverbs 31:13 & 17

So far we have seen the Proverbs 31 woman wakes early and her mornings are full preparing for the day. In the evening, she continues to attend to the needs of her family. So you can guess that the rest of her day is spent much the same way.

Verses 13 and 17 says she does her work with "eager hands" (vs 13) and that she sets about her work vigorously" (vs 17). Ouch! Did that hurt you as much as it did me? She is eager to do her housework?!? Eager can be defined as, "having or showing keen interest, intense desire." When was the last time you cleaned your house with "keen interest or intense desire"? What does that even mean?

In regards to her time management, it means she has learned how to accomplish her household duties. This may sound silly to some. However, I, for one, had no clue how to keep a home when my husband and I were first married. I still say that if it had been up to me, we would have been starving and naked after the first few months. I was fine at taking care of myself during college. But now I had another person who was depending on me for food, clean clothes, a tidy home and numerous other responsibilities. Thank God he blessed me with a very patient husband who spent the early years of our marriage filling in all the gaps I was unequipped to fulfill. So how did I learn to be a homemaker? How did the Proverbs 31 woman know what to do?

From the beginning of time until the mid 20th century, girls learned the art of homemaking from the best teacher, their mother. They would spend countless hours together learning skills such as: how to care for a sick baby,  prepare meals, sew clothes and tend the home. Girls were knowledgeable and prepared when they left their father and mother to begin a new life with their husband. However, with the rise of the feminist movement, this quality time has lost it's level of importance in our society. Mothers are too busy, too tired, too stressed and too unskilled themselves to be able to properly teach their daughters the art of keeping a home.

Were you like me, a new bride who had no idea what it meant to keep a home? Let me tell you, there is hope!! After almost 12 years of marriage (and one very patient husband), I can say that my housekeeping knowledge and skills have vastly improved! It has taken time on my part to learn how to properly keep a home. Here is a list of some resources you can turn too for help:

  • Your mother - She may have more knowledge and skills tucked away then you realize.
  • Books - "The Good Wife's Guide" by Darlene Schacht is full of helpful tips to "achieving a well-managed home backed by scripture and gleaned from experience. As well she provides readers with detailed cleaning and organizing schedules for practical application." ~Amazon.com Book description.
  • Blogs - I love the blogging community! It is chalked full of helpful tips. A couple of my favorite sites are:  Women Living WellThe Time-Warp Wife, and  Growing Home. You can find house cleaning schedules, recipes, homemaking tips and blog directories full of more resources!
  • Other women / a Titus 2 mentor - Look at your girlfriends. Do some seem to be more domesticated than you? Ask them for help! Have them come over and help get your house organized. Pick their brains and experience for tips and tricks. 
  • Television - I LOVE Food Network! I gained so many valuable skills watching Rachel Ray, Paula Deen, Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa), and Sandra Lee. Not to mention, they are a wealth of new recipes to try.
Challenge: Evaluate your housekeeping skills. Are they in need of some assistance? Check out some of the resources above and try to implement one new tip, trick, or skill. 


Until Tomorrow Friends...

Be Blessed & Be a Blessing!

Don't forget to visit these contributors of 13 Blogs, 13 Topics, 1 Great God!




2 comments:

Karen Dawkins said... [Reply to comment]

Food Network is a GREAT resource!!!! It inspired me to be more eager to provide healthy meals for my family. HGTV on the other hand simply overwhelms me! But, God did not call me to a magazine article house. He called me to create a warm home where others feel welcome, loved, and encouraged! :)

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Karen, I'm right there with you. I've tried to have a picture-perfect home (my perfectionism coming out). With kids, it's nearly impossible to achieve while still maintaining a gentle spirit ☺! As long as it's tidy & clean, I'm happy.
LOVE me some FoodNetwork!!! Could sit and watch it all weekend. Oh, wait I do sometimes. Ooops! We'll cover that topic in the days ahead!! :-D

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home