"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls" Proverbs 31:15
Are you an early bird or a night owl? Well, I'm neither really. I like to sleep in (which at our house is around 7:30am) and I'm normally in bed by 10:30pm. (FYI-here came conviction #1...lol) We see from vs. 15 that the Proverbs 31 woman "rises while it's still dark." Depending on the season, that can be very early! Why does she do this? What purpose is there in rising so early compared to pushing that snooze button just a couple more times?
1. "She provides food for her family" She gets up early to start preparing the day's meals. When was the last time you woke up early and cooked breakfast for your husband and children during the week? "Are you crazy! With lunches to pack, kids to get off to school, a husband to get off to work and myself to throw together. When is there time to cook breakfast?!" you may ask. For the Proverbs 31 woman, she sees the needs of her family and fulfills them. She sees the importance of a good breakfast and starting her family off on the right foot each day. This is also a great time to visit your freezer. Plan what you are cooking for dinner ahead of time. Then in the morning, just pull the meat out of the freezer. When you're read to make dinner, it's thawed and ready to use.
2. "She provides portions for her servant girls." Servant girls...no worries there. I don't have any servants so I guess I can skip over that part. Wrong! YOU are the servant girl!! In Bible times, it would have been the job of the wife to organize the tasks of the day and delegate them to her servants. You may not have servants, but you still have a day to keep organized and tasks that need to be delegated. Do you find yourself frustrated as you rush out the door, feeling like your mind will explode if you have to remember to do one more thing? Me too ;-). So use this time in the morning to make a list of the tasks for the day. Prioritize them. Then, if possible, delegate some of them (i.e. chores to the kids).
How much more could you get accomplished during that quiet time in the morning while your family is still asleep? We all love those mornings when everything runs like clock-work and we don't feel rushed, don't we?
Challenge: Tonight set your alarm for an hour earlier. Purpose to wake up on time and follow this model. I can assure you; your husband and children will be pleasantly surprised to have a hot breakfast and a stress-free mom waiting for them in the morning!
Until Tomorrow Friends...
Be Blessed & Be a Blessing!
Don't forget to visit these contributors of 13 Blogs, 13 Topics, 1 Great God!
- Contributing to Family Income/2 better than 1
- The Fear of the Lord/Satisfied by Love
- Using Time Wisely/Blessed Beyond Measure
- Taking Care of Needy/Shadow Wonder
- Using Money Wisely/For Such a Time as This
- Beauty is Fleeting/Monique Zackery
- Keeping an Eye on Home/Just a Glimpse
- She Can Laugh at the Days Ahead/Faith Filled Food For Mom
- Clothed in Strength and Dignity/One Thing I've Learned
- Taking Care of Others/2Savvy Gals
- Being Creative/A Patchwork Mommy
- Bringing Variety to Family/Karen Dawkins
- Extending Your Hand to the Poor/Woman's Fellowship House
- Organization/Teaching What is Good