CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

10 Days of Proverbs 31 - Day 2


Photobucket
"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls" Proverbs 31:15

morning Are you an early bird or a night owl? Well, I'm neither really. I like to sleep in (which at our house is around 7:30am) and I'm normally in bed by 10:30pm. (FYI-here came conviction #1...lol) We see from vs. 15 that the Proverbs 31 woman "rises while it's still dark." Depending on the season, that can be very early! Why does she do this? What purpose is there in rising so early compared to pushing that snooze button just a couple more times?

1. "She provides food for her family" She gets up early to start preparing the day's meals. When was the last time you woke up early and cooked breakfast for your husband and children during the week? "Are you crazy! With lunches to pack, kids to get off to school, a husband to get off to work and myself to throw together. When is there time to cook breakfast?!" you may ask. For the Proverbs 31 woman, she sees the needs of her family and fulfills them. She sees the importance of a good breakfast and starting her family off on the right foot each day. This is also a great time to visit your freezer. Plan what you are cooking for dinner ahead of time. Then in the morning, just pull the meat out of the freezer. When you're read to make dinner, it's thawed and ready to use.
Breakfast!

2. "She provides portions for her servant girls." Servant girls...no worries there. I don't have any servants so I guess I can skip over that part. Wrong! YOU are the servant girl!! In Bible times, it would have been the job of the wife to organize the tasks of the day and delegate them to her servants. You may not have servants, but you still have a day to keep organized and tasks that need to be delegated.  Do you find yourself frustrated as you rush out the door, feeling like your mind will explode if you have to remember to do one more thing? Me too ;-). So use this time in the morning to make a list of the tasks for the day. Prioritize them. Then, if possible, delegate some of them  (i.e. chores to the kids).

How much more could you get accomplished during that quiet time in the morning while your family is still asleep? We all love those mornings when everything runs like clock-work and we don't feel rushed, don't we?
 Challenge: Tonight set your alarm for an hour earlier. Purpose to wake up on time and follow this model. I can assure you; your husband and children will be pleasantly surprised to have a hot breakfast and a stress-free mom waiting for them in the morning!

Until Tomorrow Friends...
Be Blessed & Be a Blessing!


Don't forget to visit these contributors of 13 Blogs, 13 Topics, 1 Great God!

6 comments:

Emily said... [Reply to comment]

I have tried this but In our house it means getting up at 4:30am and I'm asleep on the couch at 7pm :) So, what we do is make a pan of egg bake that lasts a few days in our household. We get time to spend together in the evening and he still has a hot and delicious breakfast in the morning! My daughter and I get up later and eat together.
I could definitely work on the prioritizing part. I often get to the end of the day and realize there were a handful of things I totally forgot about or just didn't have time for.
Thanks for this post of suggestions!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Emily, thanks for your comment. It's true that we need to find what works best for our own family while still maintaining the principles outlined in Prov 31. Love your egg bake idea! Our kids have always been early risers. So I'm in the same boat at you. Thank you for the reminder that flexibility is also important.

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said... [Reply to comment]

Torrie, our family is a family of night owls!! My husband can survive on little sleep but I cannot! (but then, I'm 5 1/2 years older than he is ;) ) It is a RARE thing for me to go to bed before 1 am and often am up until 2 because my husband and older children are. But none of us are really early birds either (and being a homeschool family, we have flexibility in our rising time). But because it is cheaper for me to make breakfast than have cereal, I make breakfast each morning.

Mrs. Settles said... [Reply to comment]

Yes, I am learning living 31 requires a lot of discipline...and grace!
Wonderful post and beautiful blog!
I am a new follower hopping over from Titus 2sdays. Feel free to check out my new blog if you get a chance.
Blessings,
Marcia

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Kate, It's great that you've found a system that works for your family's need. In different seasons of our lives, I think this area will be easier to follow than at other times. (For example, if you have a new baby and are up a lot during the night, rising early just isn't going to happen.) In times like this, flexibility is the key. It sounds like you've found that to be true for your family as well.

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Mrs. Settles, Welcome!! I'm so happy that you stopped by for a visit. Thank you for your comment. I LOVE hearing from the readers God brings here! Praying that you have been blessed and encouraged (and maybe a little challenged by Prov 31 ☺). You are right, she is a woman of discipline. However, I'm finding that she doesn't seem so unattainable when I look at just one attribute at a time.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home