CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

"The Prince of Peace"

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

Christmas 1997
I was 18 years old, a sophomore in college, and spending my first Christmas away from my mom. It wasn't my schooling that kept me from my mom that year, but a new relationship...with my dad. I met him for the first time at my high school graduation, only six months prior . For 18 years it had been just mom and me. She never remarried, never dated. She had devoted her entire life to raising me, giving me every opportunity she possibility could, making sacrifices I still don't fully understand. That year she sacrificed our favorite holiday to allow a man she hadn't seen in almost 20 years, the chance to spend Christmas with his only child.

Thinking back, I only remember being excited to fly from my small Ohio town to LA. I was spending Christmas in Hollywood with my dad!!! In fact, excited is probably an understatement. I honestly don't remember much about that trip. I remember attending a Christmas party, having dinner with some of Dad's friends and going to see "Titanic" at the movies. However, God opened my eyes a few days ago to how my mom spent that Christmas-alone.

As a mom myself, I can't imagine not being able to spend this special time of year with my kids, regardless how old they get. I certainly can't image spending it totally alone because someone from my past has re-entered my life, opening old wounds. Yet, despite her pain and loneliness, she gave me that Christmas, with her blessing. She never complained. She never said a negative word. She helped me pack. She drove me to the airport. She listened as I went on and on about the day's adventure. Looking back, I'm sure her heart was breaking. I'm sure she cried herself to sleep and prayed more than usual for those two weeks. What I do remember is how peaceful she handled the situation. What an amazing example of God's great peace that passes all understanding! Her actions and attitude went against everything in our human nature. She put the needs of her daughter and a father above her own. She didn't do what was fair. She didn't act on emotions. She didn't allow years of pain to dictate her decisions. She had a choice. She chose to keep the peace.

This Christmas, you may find yourself spending time with family members who have caused you pain. Perhaps you are more stressed about the amount of tension at the dinner table than about the general busyness of the season. This year I challenge you to make a choice. I challenge you to let the Prince of Peace shine through you this Christmas. It probably won't be easy (or it wouldn't be called a challenge). It may stretch you into an uncomfortable place outside your box. It's ok! That's when you rely on the One who holds the world in His mighty hands, to provide you with strength, grace and peace. It's up to you. It's your choice. Will you choose to keep the peace in your family this Christmas?

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

Feature Me Friday

5 comments:

jamiejoy said... [Reply to comment]

Love this, Torrie! Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. I am sure you follow right inside of her footsteps in paving the way for peace in your family. =)

Karen Dawkins said... [Reply to comment]

I saw your post title on the BlogFrog feed a few days ago. I knew I needed to visit, but I didn't know if I'd be emotionally ready. This is the sweetest reminder, though. Christmas isn't about the gifts we receive or the food or the decorations. Christmas is about love... first the love of our Savior who forgives all our sins. Then the love of family for one another. Our family is learning a lot about forgiveness, grace, mercy and healing this year. Thank you for the sweet reminder of what really matters.

Your mom sounds amazing!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks JamieJoy & Karen. Honestly, this was a tough one to write. I had never really thought about what she went through (and even if I had I would not have appreciated it fully). She is an amazing woman! Thanks for reading & your sweet comments. Merry Christmas!!

OneMommy said... [Reply to comment]

What a touching post. Thank you for a beautiful reminder to handle things with grace, especially this time of year.

Shari Lynne @ Faith Filled Food For Moms and Grandmothers said... [Reply to comment]

I LOVE this story! Your Mom is amazing and what an amazing daughter she has raised! So many heartaches could be avoided if we would just make a choice to think of others above ourselves. Thanks for sharing Torrie!
Blessings and Merry Christmas!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home