CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Thanks for visiting BBM. We are happy you've stopped by and would love for you to become a part of our community. Simply subscribe to our RSS feed or by email so you don't miss a thing! You can also follow BBM on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Nasty Visitor

This week we had a nasty visitor at our home, the stomach flu! It started the day after Christmas with our son and continued to make its rounds. Although it only stayed for 24 hours (per person), they were 24 miserable, achy, messy hours. I was the second to find myself in bed instead of the mall. As I lay there, I just keep praying that my mom (who is still recovering from knee surgery) and daughter didn't catch this awful bug. It never really crossed my mind to pray for my husband because he NEVER gets sick! In 11 years of marriage, I've only seen him stay-home-from-work sick twice. Well, I guess I should have added him to the list because sure enough, he caught it on Wednesday.
>
Image from NY Daily News

Although he felt terrible, he kept our dinner date with my best friend and her husband who were visiting from out of town. He knew how much that day meant to me because I only see her a couple of times a year. After struggling through our meal (I still wasn't feeling well either), we called it an early night and headed home.

The next morning my husband didn't look much better. He never complains, but I could tell he still felt terrible. Although all of him wanted to crawl back under the warmth of his blankets, he turned on the shower and got ready for work, not because he wanted to, but because he knew it was a very busy day and he didn't want to let his co-workers down. Uniform on and Dayquil in hand, he came downstairs to attack his day with what very little energy he had left. Our son looked and him and asked if he was really going to work (knowing how his dad felt because he had been in the same place only three short days earlier).
"Yep"
"But you're sick."
"Yep, well sometimes you have to do things you don't want to or don't feel like doing, even when you're sick."

I was so proud of my man! Going to work with the flu probably wasn't the best idea. However, in that moment, he taught our son a valuable lesson in character. It's not about you. Others were counting on him and he wasn't going to let them down. He wasn't going to leave his co-workers short handed on a very busy day. If they wanted to send him home sick (which they did), that would be their call.

Having a good work ethic is a rare thing these days. It is a value that we want to instill in our children; but more than that, it's a value that the Lord commands of us.* As parents, we can talk to our children. We can tell them what is good, acceptable and expected. Yet, nothing speaks louder than a good example to follow.



*If you want more information concerning a Biblical work ethic go to http://www.bibleclassbooks.com/teaching-values/work-ethic.html

7 comments:

Tracy Stoffell said... [Reply to comment]

I am so sorry that you and your family were sick. You must be married to an awesome guy, what a blessing.

What a good learning lesson for your son. As parents it is so important to seize those teaching moments even when we are sick.

I am reposting on FB.
Tracy

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks Tracy. Have a blessed and safe NYE!

Fawn said... [Reply to comment]

This is great! I have always been so appreciative of employees who come to work even when they're sick (although I've pretty much always sent them home to keep the workplace contamination free :)). Now, that I have my office at home and manage people via technology, there's no more sending people home :). That was a great lesson for your son. Happy New Year, Torrie!

Ann said... [Reply to comment]

Nice post! I totally agree about teaching your children a good work ethic. My hubby and I are always saying that most people today (not just kids) don't value commitments they make. If you say you are going to be somewhere, don't just not show without notice. We are amazed at how many people do that and don't even think twice about it. It's so disrespectful! Both, my son and husband had the 24-hr. flu over the past few days. I'm praying I don't get it!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Fawn-I was raised that you went to school/work unless you were on your deathbed. I guess it has spilled over to our children. ;)

Ann-I hope you stay healthy. It's not a fun bug. Yet, I'm glad that if we had to endure it, we were able to seize that moment to re-enforce our values. You are right. We live in a society where a commitment isn't important. I see it as more than a commitment; it's about being a man/woman of integrity.

Hannah said... [Reply to comment]

My husband has been toughing it for months with a broken back. I often think what a great example he is. I, too, and blessed beyond measure!

Torrie said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! Months!! I pray for quick healing. No matter our cirrcumstance, we are Blessed Beyond Measure - ALWAYS!! Thanks for your comment.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a few minutes to stop by BBM. It's my prayer that this blog has been used by God to bless you today. I'd love to hear from you. This is a safe place to learn, grow and support each other. All I ask is that all comments are respectful. Blessings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Linked Up Here:

Monday:
Tuesday:
Growing Home tasty-tuesday_thumb_thumb_thumb1_thu
Wednesday:
Thursday:

BBM is Featured Here!

Growing Home